Work with us
The GEIC operates a partnership model, together with a number of additional engagement options to suit the scope, scale, duration and complexity of development projects.
We offer three different types of partnerships for companies that wish to have a deeper or more prolonged engagement than traditional short term contracts might provide.
Our Tier 1 and Tier 2 partnerships involve significant access to the GEIC’s labs, specialist equipment and experienced engineering teams, with additional support provided by our network of Affiliate Partners.
Tier 1 Partners are likely to be companies with interests in multiple application areas. This is our most comprehensive membership package, providing access to a very wide range of specialist resources.
The benefits of being a Tier 1 Partner of the GEIC include:
- A dedicated 9m x 7m laboratory
- Access to unique application labs and specialist equipment
- A minimum of £100k of membership fee allocated to project activity
- Access to academic network
- Early sight of UoM IP for potential licensing opportunities
- A seat on the Technology Advisory Board, with insight on the strategic direction of graphene applications and input to future equipment and strategy
- Dedicated office space and use of hot desks
- Strategic, proactive PR and communications support and direction from leadership
- Opportunity to leverage our network of Affiliate Partners.
- Annual fee starts at £208,600 (exc. VAT), with at least £100,000 allocated to project activity.
- Tier 1 membership is a minimum of a 3-year agreement.
Typical membership fees are £200k+VAT per annum, with a minimum commitment of three years; at least 50% of this fee is allocated to specific project work determined by each partner.
Tier 2 Partners will typically be medium and larger SMEs and divisions of multinational companies with interests in a single application area for a narrow range of products and/or services.
Tier 2 membership can start with a single, short, rapid feasibility study (Pathfinder Project) to allow companies to investigate the potential benefits of using graphene in their business or products. It is designed to provide immediate answers to prove feasibility, or fail quickly, or continue with a project concept to a larger follow-on project in the GEIC or NGI. A Pathfinder usually ranges in cost from £10k to £25k.
After the initial Pathfinder Project, Tier 2 membership allows companies to undertake a series of follow-on projects under a single framework agreement that includes:
- Access to all GEIC application areas and all specialist equipment within that area.
- £35-40,000 allocated to project activity, equipment and space (subject to lab use).
- Preferential pricing for membership project activities.
- Access to GEIC academics and GEIC core team.
- Hot desk and laboratory space.
- Access to meeting rooms and conference space.
- Representation on the Technology Advisory Board.
- £5,000 annual GEIC membership fee.
The T2 Membership annual fee starts at £45,000 (exc. VAT), with at least 50% allocated to collaborative project activity. Tier 2 Membership is up to 12 months. Partners can top up their membership for further project activity.
Affiliate Partnerships are suitable for any service company that can create value for the next generation of products and processes emerging from the GEIC. Typical companies might include: business support and enabling services, such as lawyers, accountants, IP specialists, web designers, marketing, business development, entrepreneurs, mentors, supporting engineers (eg: mechanical, software, electronic, CAD, modelling) and product designers.
- The benefits of being an Affiliate Partner include:
- Be part of a thriving community of research and commercialisation activities.
- Business opportunities for partnerships, engagements and collaborations with the GEIC’s user community.
- Opportunity to host seminars/workshops for other tenants and partner companies engaged in graphene commercialisation.
- Embedded with early stage, high growth companies developing new products and processes with 2D materials.
- Open plan desk space (with superfast Wi-Fi access).
- Use of shared conference, training rooms and other facilities.
Contact us for more information.